Welcome Message

Welcome to the blog and site of Iowa Author Buzz Malone. I always enjoy hearing from readers. Please leave comments and send me emails to let me know what you think. Your opinions matter more than you might think. Your words inspire me more than you could ever know. To find out more about my writing and books, please click above on the book titles or email me at buzzdmalone@gmail.com

If you are looking for my Union Leader Blog, please go to http://theunionleader.blogspot.com/




Friday, March 8, 2013

The Respected Writer

Respect. Since the dawn of man, it has been a fundamentally sought after emotional element of every human being. As writers we have come to recognize that while certain iconic figures within our profession have risen to celebrity status, the rest of us are, generally speaking, mocked and ridiculed for our desire to write.

I had sort of come to expect, when I decided to officially call myself a writer (I thought it sounded better at cocktail parties than "unemployed"...I was mistaken), that certain members of society would frown upon my endeavors (particularly my creditors).


However, last year when an Amish gentleman came to our home to see about mending the roof, I knew that he would be far enough removed from society that he would not be aware of the usual stigmas and prejudices. I was, once again...mistaken. This really happened...

AMISH MAN: "So, what is it that you do for work?"

ME: "I am a writer."

AMISH MAN: "Oh. A rider!"  He says, nodding with respect, looking into our pasture at the assortment of grazing mules and horses. "So, you break horses then?"

ME: "No. I am a writer," I say, holding a pretend pen in my hand and ghost writing in the air between us.

AMISH MAN: "So, people pay you to write things?" His tone was less friendly then, and more suspicious.

ME: I had to think about it for a moment. "No," I finally admitted, having been thwarted by the word "pay."

ME: "I write books and things," I added, suddenly deeply concerned about the future of my social standing among the fickle Southern Iowa Amish sect.

AMISH MAN: "Oh."

At this point in the conversation he actually frowns and shakes his head almost imperceptibly, but shakes it nonetheless. We didn't talk much after that, each of us desiring to put a little distance between the other.

Damn it. Even the Amish have turned their bearded chins up at us.


Jack Nickolson line from the movie Hoffa:

"Tobin, the President, newspapers, 
every f@&ckin' body else in the world says I'm wrong, 
      I gotta be right."


Thanks for reading!
Buzz
  

10 comments:

  1. Wow, great pic! I especially love Rodney Dangerfield:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark! I 'googled' it myself.

      Thanks again for reading!

      Buzz

      Delete
  2. You're a righter? Isn't that something to do with carpentry? Noble profession, young man. Stick with it. You will do well at the barn raising. I foresee many pieces of fried chicken and apple pie laid out for you. No money, just apple pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love apple pie. If that holds true then my diet will be getting a lot healthier in the near future.

      As always, thanks for stopping by and reading for a spell, Doc.

      Buzz

      Delete
  3. Hold your head up and be proud fellow writer! Very amusing post, it made me chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine, but it's hard to hold my head up when my neck has stiffened in this position from looking down at a computer screen all day. I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Thank you for reading!

      Buzz

      Delete
  4. Just remember that you're up there with the best of 'em. Well, maybe not UP there....I mean not like SK or JKR or SM up there....but you COULD be. So keep those fingers racing across the keyboard and know that you are the best in the world at what you, uniquely, do.

    btw (that's a little bit of text lingo I learned), those Amish can sure cook! One of the best meals I've ever had was a family style dinner at an Amish restaurant in Iowa many moons (aka decades) ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again, Carmen. I think that I only need to figure out how to paint myself into one of those beach scenes from your site. Then I would have all of the inspiration that I require to create something wonderful.

      You must have been near the Amana Colonies then, I'd guess. That is where family style rules the roost still.

      Thank you again for all of your encouragement and your comments, Carmen. They are always welcome and appreciated!

      Thank you for reading,

      Buzz

      Delete
  5. Well, everyone has said they laughed, liked Rodney Dangerfield and joked about the Amish. I enjoyed your post. I like the new group too with cats and agents?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary! And thank you for reading.

      Buzz

      Delete