Welcome Message

Welcome to the blog and site of Iowa Author Buzz Malone. I always enjoy hearing from readers. Please leave comments and send me emails to let me know what you think. Your opinions matter more than you might think. Your words inspire me more than you could ever know. To find out more about my writing and books, please click above on the book titles or email me at buzzdmalone@gmail.com

If you are looking for my Union Leader Blog, please go to http://theunionleader.blogspot.com/




Thursday, January 3, 2013

My First Forty Years

Tomorrow I turn 40. How it happened, I have no idea. I mean, technically speaking, yes...I understand the basic concepts of the passage of time, but I never really would have believed that I was going to make it this far. If I had, as the saying goes...I would have taken a lot better care of myself.  In honor of the less than remarkable day, I've prepared a brief overview of the last forty years with commentary and follow-up...
Thirty years ago, I was a happy, well-adjusted kid. I was a straight 'A' student, in the talented and gifted program at my school...for a little while. When teachers asked me what I wanted to be, I usually said, "nothing." With "nothing" as the core criteria to base my future planning on, I didn't put a whole lot of value on my education. I favored skipping school to go to the library and read...a lot. Later, I would replace "nothing" with "writer."
Oh yeah, and just in case you were wondering...my parents really did name me Buzz. It's almost like being a Boy Named Sue, but without the feminine connotations. 
Twenty-Five years ago I fell in love with the girl of my dreams. I finally got the girl too...twenty years later when I finally had the courage to tell her and the confidence to ask.
Twenty years ago, I started having kids. It seemed like a good idea at the time. They were cute and cuddly and didn't take up much space...
Now, I have to drag extra folding chairs into the living room if nobody volunteers to sit on the floor.
I've had one hell of a life so far. I had a fast paced professional career that I quit in favor of being a starving artist. I have spoke in front of the state legislature, befriended a future president (still get my Christmas card from the WH), held press conferences in the governor's office, introduced a U.S. Congressional candidate to the media, spoke at rallies, and produced a successful political blog...all until I realized that I hated politics almost as much as I hated my fast paced career...and gave it all up to write, to love, and to be happy.
Two years ago I wrote and released my first novella. A fictional Southern Iowa love story with a historical bent. I've written two more since then, and I have been inspired by the people who read them to continue to write. They didn't earn me much in the way of riches, but what I have learned as a writer from them, and the relationships I have developed with my readers...is something that I will always treasure.

As a birthday present to myself...last night I completed the final edit on my first, full-length novel. It is the most challenging thing that I have ever written and is different in so many ways from any of my novellas. I could never have written it without everything that I have gained from my experiences. So...to everyone who has suffered through my typos and misused words and oft used phrases...thank you!

I can't wait to see what happens in the next forty years!

Thanks for reading, everyone!

Buzz Malone
buzzdmalone@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment